Tuesday 25 February 2014

Nestle Toffee Crisp


These days it seems like all cereal companies are trying to recreate chocolate bars in cereal form. Firstly, Nestle gave us Lion cereal, recently moving onto the transformation of the classic Toffee Crisp Bar into a breakfast cereal. The 'New' banner over the top of the box immediately drew my attention when faced with the daunting prospect of the cereal aisle in Tescos. However, I myself was a little cynical of Nestle's most recent conversion. Yes, it would be like Christmas come early for all Toffee Crisp fans if you could have your favourite chocolate bar in a different form morning, noon and night, but the cynic in me couldn't help but question exactly how does one turn a chocolate bar into a cereal? Therefore, my dear friend Holly took the plunge and bought me a box of Toffee Crisp Cereal on the basis that I would review it. So here it is...

What I couldn't help but ignore was the healthy stance that Nestle are trying to give this cereal. On the top of the box they claim that Toffee Crisp Cereal is a source of whole grain and provides 8 vitamins and minerals, among which is vitamin D. This may all be true, however, it seems like they have employed this technique to make mums, or dads (this is the 21st century) feel less guilty about giving their children a chocolate bar equivalent for breakfast. Personally I feel that there is nothing wrong with starting the day to a bowl of chocolatey goodness, I've been eating all sorts of cereals for the past 19 years and look at me now! But, if it does make you feel slightly better, then I guess you are having a chocolate cereal that is good for you, in a roundabout way. Nestle have just used their pre-existing Crunch cereal but given it a slightly chocolatey-toffee flavour and added a few extra toffee balls. It was my flatmate who drew my attention to the fact that they bare a slight resemblance to maggots, but don't let that put you off; the flavour is quite subtle so it's not too sickly. It also stays crisp for a good 10 minutes meaning that you can eat at a leisurely pace and could even watch the entire soap feature on ITV's This Morning!
Although I enjoyed my bowl of Toffee Crisp, I wouldn't say that it was the equivalent to the chocolate bar per-se. Maybe Nestle should rebrand this as a new cereal in itself, that way perhaps consumers would feel more inclined to try a cereal that isn't a derivative of a chocolate bar.
Here are my ratings for Toffee-Crisp Cereal:

Crunch Factor: 4.5/5

Flavour: 3.5/5


Aesthetics: 2.5/5


Filling: 3/5


Overall Rating: 3.5/5


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?