Tuesday 4 March 2014

Pancake Day


Today is Pancake Day, Shrove Tuesday, Le Mardi Gras. Whatever you like to call it, it's one of the few days that many of us actually decide to eat pancakes for breakfast, lunch and even dinner. However, this one day can divide a nation - what sort of pancake to have, what to top it with, sweet or savoury, American style or French crêpe? Unfortunately this year I am unable to participate in my local Olney Pancake Race that has been running since 1445, however, in celebration of this time old tradition, I have decided to scrap cereal for a week in favour of a traditional French crêpe.

Given that I had my crêpes for breakfast, I opted for the classic lemon and sugar to kick start my day, swiftly moving onto a filling of Nutella topped with the finest Spanish raspberries to be found in Aldi. However, there are many more toppings to be had: maple syrup and bacon, banana and toffee or even ham and cheese, to name just a few, the limit is your imagination... No matter what you choose to top you pancake with, the crucial, age old question still remains: to flip or not to flip? Fortunately for me, my flatmate has many talents in the kitchen, saving me from having to scrape my breakfast from up off the floor. But for those of you whose 'tossing' needs a little more practice, I would suggest heading out to some sort of eating establishment to get your pancake fix for the day. 

Obviously pancakes are not a cereal, therefore I won't be able to use my standard ratings today. In my opinion, pancakes are a very versatile food that can be changed according to personal preferences, taste and the time of day. 

Overall I would give pancakes a 4.4/5 stars. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?